We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
- T.S. Eliot


Welcome to Ten Roads! This blog is intended to be a place for me to share my (generally Civil War-related) thoughts and experiences. I try to update once a week at the very least. All comments and readers are greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Colors

So my dad handed me the paper yesterday and this was on the front page. Well, it was news to me. You'd have thought I would have known about this before it was printed in the paper, but nope. I'm slightly concerned about our future, what will happen to the station and its devoted volunteers. But we'll see what happens before I start freaking out.

But speaking of the station changing hands, it's happened at least twelve times since 1858 when it was built. And almost every time it has been given a new coat of paint to go with its new ownership. Since it's something I get asked about a lot at the station, I figured it may be interesting to write about the history of the colors of the station.


Light gray and chocolate brown were the original colors of the station and were still there when Lincoln arrived in 1863. The gray was painted over the brick and the chocolate brown was used on the trim and doors. The models built by Bill Aldrich show the station with these colors and we have a small area of a wall over the archway leading out to the original platform painted in this way.


This green is called "railroad green" and is located in the office area (in the 1886 addition). It was apparently used pretty frequently in stations in the 1880s or so.


Meanwhile, this interesting salmon color adorns the rest of the second room. So we have a railroad green and salmon second room. I don't believe this is a historically accurate color. What Bob Alcorn told me when I asked was that the salmon was a "compromise," something they just thought would "look good with the green." It's a color that I personally like, but I never thought I'd see it on a wall.


The color of the outside of the building, this is another color that is not historically accurate. I've been told that this was an "accident," that it was intended to be the same color as the Reading Station (a sort of cream color) but something went awry. I have trouble believing this because... if you started painting a building and realized that what was supposed to be cream was actually bright golden yellow, I'm pretty sure you'd notice and stop the painting. But who knows. The trim is currently a dark green and a maroon color. Even if not accurate, it makes the building stand out. And it's a lot easier to say "the bright yellow building" while explaining where I volunteer.

1 comment:

Geoff Elliott said...

Sarah,

I'm very much enjoying your blog. I knew from Daniel that your wrote on his group blog, but did not realize you had your own. He's invited me to write on that blog, but I'm having difficulty coming up with topics about Lincoln *within* the Civil War confines. I know far more about Lincoln than I do about the War itself.

When I was a teenager, I had a close female friend who was a "Lincoln freak," primarily because she was born on his birthday. She knew a lot about Civil War history as well.

Keep up the GREAT work! Thanks for writing about the train station. I've been to Gettysburg more times than I can remember, but have never visited the station. I hope everything works out.

Thanks for the link to my blog and I've just linked to yours.

Sincerely,

Geoff Elliott

The Abraham Lincoln Blog

Yore