We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
- T.S. Eliot


Welcome to Ten Roads! This blog is intended to be a place for me to share my (generally Civil War-related) thoughts and experiences. I try to update once a week at the very least. All comments and readers are greatly appreciated!

Thursday, May 01, 2008

Some train station-related news

This is going to be the first summer that the train station is up and running while being staffed full-time. So we (we being mostly Adam, Tina, and myself) are trying to figure out things such as changes in our hours. For now we are keeping the original hours, 10-4, but we will perhaps switch to Saturdays 10-6 and Sundays 12-4 in the future.

We are starting to have more groups come in, which can be fun but also a little stressful, since I for one haven't done many group tours and am still trying to figure out the best methods. I was given a very loud "Bully!" on three by a group of boy scouts the other weekend. And though Teddy Roosevelt scares me a little (okay, a lot), I found it quite amusing.

Since as I write this I am realizing I really don't have all that much to say. So I think I will take this time to promote the town guides' walking tours. I cannot even begin to explain how knowledgeable the town guides are. They know the answer to almost any question you could think of relating to the town's history, especially during the war. They are also to thank for running the train station for its first few months, so I'm completely grateful to them. And I've yet to meet one who isn't an amazing, hilarious, fun, and, most importantly, knowledgeable person. Their rates are good considering the large amount of information they share. I've found that if people know about Gettysburg already, they really only know details about the battle. You know a lot of you are guilty of paying attention to the battlefield and neglecting the town. So a walking tour with a town guide is a really, really good idea this spring or summer.

No comments:

Yore