We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
- T.S. Eliot


Welcome to Ten Roads! This blog is intended to be a place for me to share my (generally Civil War-related) thoughts and experiences. I try to update once a week at the very least. All comments and readers are greatly appreciated!

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Lincoln and me


September in Gettysburg is, frankly, dead as far as tourism goes. And thus my four hours at the train station once a week can seem like a year. Unfortunately, my freaking out about my blood test this morning caused me to forget to bring a book along (currently my book of choice is an encyclopedia of American History). This normally would be no big deal, as I would just play Boomshine to pass the time. Alas! The computer would not let me log in! And so I produced this sketch of Abraham Lincoln. I love how his eyes are sort of crooked but it doesn't matter since they are now saying he was quite unsymmetrical anyway.

Speaking of Mr. Lincoln in all of his unsymmetrical glory, his bust has moved into its home at the station. I'm ashamed that I did not even notice the president's head and shoulders outside until a visitor asked when it'd arrived. Eric and I were able to determine that it must have been sometime within the past week. I was able to greet the bust after showing a couple from D.C. out to Racehorse Alley. I touched a furrow in the jacket and suddenly realized that I have a weird tendency to touch statues and monuments (but I believe only of people, as I cannot recall randomly feeling up the Pennsylvania Monument or any of the other not-people monuments). But I digress. For those who do not know, the bust of Lincoln used to sit in the north-facing doorway of the Wills House until they began renovations. Originally it was supposed to go to the train station in Hanover Junction, but some series of events awarded Mr. Lincoln to us. So far, it's quite nice having him around.

No comments:

Yore