We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
- T.S. Eliot


Welcome to Ten Roads! This blog is intended to be a place for me to share my (generally Civil War-related) thoughts and experiences. I try to update once a week at the very least. All comments and readers are greatly appreciated!

Saturday, October 06, 2007

Coming to you from Iowa City, Iowa

No train station this weekend due to my being out in the midwest. My parents and I set off on Wednesday, stayed the night in Toledo, Ohio, toured the University of Chicago on Thursday, Carleton College yesterday afternoon - I love it there, by the way. And I got to sit in on an Alcohol in America history class, which was very interesting. - and then got to my aunt and uncle's house late last night. We are staying two or three nights here before heading back home.

Being used to the glorious historical markers of Gettysburg and the east, I find the markers about the canning industry of Minnesota just a little silly. This area isn't very rich with prominant history, unfortunately.

Despite not being there this weekend, I do have train station news. An email I received recently has informed me that we no longer believe Lincoln actually entered our station due to the immense amount of empty coffins located inside at the time. Then again, no one is sure either way. It seems that wasn't the kind of thing people took much note of for posterity.

2 comments:

Don said...

Sarah,

I've enjoyed what I've seen here so far. Keep writing!

dw said...

All of the states, including Iowa and Minnesota, have a pretty rich history. It won't always be apparent from historical markers, however.

Yore