We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
- T.S. Eliot


Welcome to Ten Roads! This blog is intended to be a place for me to share my (generally Civil War-related) thoughts and experiences. I try to update once a week at the very least. All comments and readers are greatly appreciated!

Friday, March 28, 2008

Driving, driving, driving, thinking...

So on my way home from a quartet gig tonight I realized something. My Civil War obsession is very gas-guzzling. I decided to take the road that goes through East Cavalry Field instead of Route 30. Yeah, it added a good five or ten minutes onto my drive since it's all curvy with a 25 MPH speed limit... but it was exactly that: a good five or ten minutes. It was so beautiful, the monuments glowing pink and purple and orange from the sunset, and the rolling hills of farms past the trees.

As much as I want to get out of this area sometimes, I do truly love this part of the country. During my trip westward last fall I remember feeling so uncomfortable in Iowa because I couldn't see mountains in the distance. Iowa is my least favorite state for this reason. The flatness and the tornadoes and Taco John's. Ugh.

Anyway, I think the point of this post was that I really like taking the long way home when it takes me through the battlefield because it's very pretty at sunset.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't knock Taco John's ;). Having lived in Illinois and now North Dakota, I can understand your appreciation for home, as well as a desire to leave. Having been away from home for some time now, I find that there are many times I would like to be there, as it was simpler, I was younger, and I did not have so many responsibilities. What the drive through the field should teach you is to not be in a hurry to grow up, as it sneaks up on you faster than you realize.

Yore