We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
- T.S. Eliot


Welcome to Ten Roads! This blog is intended to be a place for me to share my (generally Civil War-related) thoughts and experiences. I try to update once a week at the very least. All comments and readers are greatly appreciated!

Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Last Civil War Veteran

Currently I am at the station, where preparations for the Gettysburg Festival are being made. Late paintings of the late Larry Rivers are hanging on our walls. Some of them are gorgeous, leading me to a Google search, leading me to this (somewhat disturbing) sketch he did of Edwin Denby, claimed to be the last Civil War veteran.



EDIT: It was brought to my attention that this is actually not the case. Please read the comments for more details.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah: Yours is an excellent blog. In this post, however, I think an error has crept in. Edwin Denby, identified as "The Last Civil War Veteran," and portrayed by Larry Rivers, actually shows Edwin Denby (1903-1983), a poet Rivers knew. The artist did do several wonderful depictions of Walter Williams, widely celebrated as the last Confederate veteran when he died in 1959, but who was really born in 1854. Please keep up the fine blogging!

Sarah said...

Mike,

Thank you for the correction. This is certainly one of those instances that reminds one that trusting internet sources is not always a wise idea :)

Yore